December

December also yielded work. These small pine shells are used as packaging for something mysterious.

IMG_20131211_120439_275 Each “box” is first roughed out with a 1/2″ bit to relief the inside. Next the corner radius is set using a 1/4″, extra long 4 flute run down each inside edge. Next an index is cut around the perimeter of each cutout to align two pieces as a shell and lastly they are cut free using a very long Super-O single flute 1/4″ bit. See Gabriel Matthews Design or click on lower image for more information.

IMG_20131211_120425_616

Packaging shells cut from 6/4 Pine.

 

December is not over yet so check back soon for updates.

November

Alphabet BoardNovember was also a busy month. The machine, being still new, was upgraded and carefully examined to be sure all is working well. This included the replacement of the router which began to chatter from worn bearings. The first project came in for form of an alphabet board. This board is apparently used to teach special education students how to form alphabet letters using dexterous feedback in addition to visual. Both UPPER and lower case letters were cut on the same plywood board. One on each side.IMG_20131009_092123_792 Alphabet BoardThese were cut using two bits. First I removed most of the material with a 3/16 end mill. This cuts the grooves that make the letters. Next I duplicate the path using a 3/8 “T” bit to under cut around each line. This makes it possible to place a bolt or large screw into the line and slide it around. The careful placement of openings allow removal only at specific points while tracing the letter.

 

September – October Projects

I’ve been busy, so busy I haven’t had a chance to add my latest designs. Over the summer I worked on a project for Bamberg Audio. Phil Bamberg adds new designs regularly and for this one I was right in the middle.

Original Series 3 Design The initial Series 3 was designed with a “facetet” baffle to reduce baffle diffraction and enhance dispersion.

This design was picked up by several other people and used in other projects as well as a few pre-ordered, early design Series 3 systems. However, this design was dropped in favor of a newer A frame design.

A frame baffle design The new design uses an A shaped monitor atop the same woofer module. A new oval grille (not pictured) completes the new monitor.Unfinished assembled Above is the unfinished, assembled enclosure.Below is the crate I built to ship the parts. FedEx was very helpful in making sure the crates (there are two of them) got where they needed to go without incident.

964916_578550455573300_1003482405_o

Initial assembly shows braces and port openings for woofer enclosure. Phil was quite busy on his end as well. He cut the lock miter joints for all corners seams.

1380403_578550825573263_1372136252_n 1491273_607184429376569_100356897_o

Click image for more information on this design.